Annons:
Tag:Β small-space-living
Read 1387 times
jordan
2019-09-03 02:06

A Tiny (Family Sized) Space!

Although I may not fully appreciate the remoteness of their setting, I can certainly see the appeal of this tiny house in Oklahoma, which can be moved about to whatever environment they wish!

I particularly like the decking that they have built, which gives them an alternate space to relax in during the warmer months, allowing them more room than what other small space builds would typically have. Also they have managed to fit a big screen TV, which is always a plus Winking

I would love to see if anyone has managed to make a small build within a metropolis like London or New York, as I feel that in itself would provide a unique challenge to homemakers.

Annons:
Leia
2019-09-03 13:12

You raise an interesting point, most tiny homes are situated in rural locations and on the outskirts of cities! I have only seen small flats and apartments for city regions rather than something like this.

All the best, Leia

Host of  Gluten-Free Living | News  | English Language Heart

jordan
2019-09-03 22:21

I guess making a small apartment is something else completely! Having to manage building permission in a city landscape I imagine to be not fun either!

Tammie
2019-09-04 04:53

Yes, in many cities they have building codes that limit the build size from being too small. The reason, is that when sold, it and can bring down the average sale price on the larger builds nearby. However, many urban cities are starting to develop areas for tiny homes due to the issues with homelessness and limited availability of homes to purchase. So many people are priced out of purchasing a home and tiny homes offer them an alternative. Couple this with the Minimalist movement and you have a momentum towards change. Which is a good thing. I really think that the fact that so many young people are getting into tiny homes it has forced the cities to examine what they can change in their building codes.

Happy creating!

Tammie

Host of Paints and Crafts

Leia
2019-09-04 12:22

#3 Thanks for the brilliant insight there Tammie!

All the best, Leia

Host of  Gluten-Free Living | News  | English Language Heart

jordan
2019-09-04 18:44

#3 Wow that's really interesting! Thank you for the insight πŸ™‚

I would love to see a city embrace the tiny home idea and use it as a means to stop homelessness. If it eventually means that city centre living becomes more affordable then I am all for it.

Niklas
2019-09-05 11:31

In Sweden, you generally need to have a regular size house on a property to be allowed to build a smaller one. The smaller one can, if it’s meant for living in, be up to 25 ㎑ and 4 meters high. A proposal has been made to change the size limit to 30 ㎑. In a 4 meter high house, you can easily create a loft and get additional living space. I also think that with souterrain you can build two floors.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Annons:
Niklas
2019-09-05 13:43

I like the clever drawer trains they made for storage under the raised floor. πŸ™‚

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

jordan
2019-09-06 21:42

#6 So you would need a piece of land to be big enough in the first place? I guess in Sweden where there is a lot of land in general this isn't too much of a problem, if a little expensive to buy in the first place.

Niklas
2019-09-09 11:51

There are different building codes in different areas of Sweden so how large the property would have to be differs. In the Swedish countryside you can buy cheap properties. I guess an average property for family homes in Sweden is around 1,500 ㎑.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Niklas
2019-09-09 11:53

How large are private housing properties typically in the UK?

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

jordan
2019-09-09 17:35

According to this, the average size of a home nowadays is around 67.8 metres squared! I think two reasons contribute as to why they are smaller on average: First the population difference between the UK and Sweden meaning that there are more people to house, and secondly the actual amount of space we have - Which isn't a lot!

Niklas
2019-09-10 18:02

What I meant to ask, was how large a typical bit of land, for a one-household home, is in the UK.

But average home interior size is also interesting. 67.8 ㎑ for Britain is considerably less than I expected. It sounds like you have already done all the minimizing needed. πŸ˜‰ On the other hand, the average home size in Sweden also is smaller than I would have guessed. πŸ™‚ 97 ㎑ for all types of homes in 2013. For owned small houses the average is 138 ㎑, for rented apartments 71 ㎑ and owned flats 76 ㎑. I'm happy to see that our household is way below the average of same-size families.

It's way too easy to get sucked into statistics. πŸ˜‚ The average Swedish household is 2,2 people, and for owned small houses alone it is 2.7 people.

Β» Swedish home size statistics database (in Swedish)

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Niklas
2019-09-10 18:12
Image 1. Click to open in original size.

I found this comparison between average home sizes in different countries at [shrinkthatfootprint.com](http://shrinkthatfootprint.com/how-big-is-a-house). Brits live smaller than japanese! Both in area per person and average home size, based on new homes.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Annons:
jordan
2019-09-10 21:45

#13 That graphic shows it really well! Frankly I'm amazed we have a larger house average than Japan, the population density there is even larger than ours!

#12 I'm not sure if it would matter, and even if it is the case in other places, but in the UK there are a lot of semi detached and terraced houses, especially in urban areas. Maybe that would make it harder to determine the lot size as more than one house would be on that lot?

Niklas
2019-09-11 10:33

#14: Don't you mean a smaller house average than Japan? Maybe they divide the lot size by the number of households if there is more than one hose.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

jordan
2019-09-11 15:28

#15 Oh yeah of course, silly me Laughing out loud Possibly!

Scroll to top
Annons:
Β